Thursday, September 30, 2010

Curious Tone

.
Last week I met an old friend. There were times when we were colleagues, shared times, and hopes. We were a team and most people thought so, too. But we shared time less and less especially after I went on schooling. His career took an enlightenment turn and he sky-rocketed to be one of the most important person in the company he worked for. He got much smarter, too. He was practically a genius the last time I remember. I didn't think anyone can get smarter than that. Apparently he can.

But our meet did not leave a pleasant impression. It was a memorable reunion not in the way I imagined. He took an interest on the book I was carrying that day. I mentioned I don't understand much of what the book was saying, and he probe my lost-ness. That's the point where the conversation took an unpleasant turn, at least for me.

He answered my questions with some sort of anger tone. It was as if he was disappointed that I asked such questions. Worst, I feel like I was not worth his time. There was no trace of the familiar warmth of friendship from what was going on there. I feel like I'm a stranger to him. He kept going on and on about how I understand things in a limited, singular way (being aggressed aside, most of what he said were, I think, true).

It still confused me to this day that he lashed out. He lost me somewhere in the middle. I remember thinking during his impatient speech how there was still a chance for my day to be saved if I just bail out. I can't remember if my day started good or bad, but it didn't matter. I didn't want to be there. A seat away would do. Just not there. Then someone interrupted us, and he was distracted. That was my exit.

I never got my questions answered. Most of his answers were more of half-way analogies. Even without the interruption, I don't think his answer would be enlightening.

Maybe he lashes. Maybe he lashed out on me. Maybe he lashed out on me because I dissapointed him. Maybe it was just my luck. Maybe it just wasn't his best day and he was not himself. Maybe if it had been someone else, not me, he would have restrained himself. Maybe there was a trace of our friendship in him after all --that his lashing out on me, and not on anyone else, was because there I was, finally, a familiar face. Maybe it was an honor. Maybe I have been doing the same thing. Maybe it was none of the above. Maybe I think too much (and this went on as he was 'enlightening' me).

It's amazing how a little raise of tone is capable to undo an established bond. If so, maybe pulling it down would redo it, and that the next time around, he and I will make better use of time.
.

No comments: